We are always looking for highly motivated group members. Please feel free to contact Heejung Shim if you are interested in joining us or having a rotation.
Heejung Shim: I am a Group Leader in the Melbourne Integrative Genomics (MIG) and Lecturer (equivalent to Assistant Professor in US) in the School of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Melbourne. I completed my BS in Mathematics (with a double major in Computer Science and Engineering) from the POSTECH, and my PhD in Statistics from the University of Wisconsin at Madison, advised by Dr. Bret Larget. I did a postdoc at the University of Chicago working with Dr. Matthew Stephens. Previous to my position here, I was a tenure track Assistant Professor in the Department of Statistics at the Purdue University for two years. Currently I retain an affiliation with Purdue as an Adjunct Assistant Professor.
Yupei You, PhD student in Bioinformatics, Co-supervised with Dr. Mike Clark (Feb 2019-present): I did my Bachelor in Bioinformatics at the Zhengzhou University in China and completed Master of Bioinformatics at the University of Melbourne. I am curious about the story behind genetic sequences and my research interests also include machine learning and probability modelling. My current projects focus on the analysis of alternative splicing using Oxford Nanopore sequencing data.
Archer Moore, PhD student in Statistics, Co-supervised with Dr. Davis McCarthy (March 2020-present):
CO-SUPERVISED PHD STUDENTS
- Qian Feng, PhD in Statistics, Co-supervised with Dr. Yao-ban Chan (2017-present)
- Lisi Roesch, PhD in Statistics, Co-supervised with Prof. Michael Stumpf (2018-present)
- Hui Li, PhD in Statistics, Co-supervised with Dr. Susan Wei (2019-present)
- Ruqian Lyu, PhD in Statistics, Co-supervised with Dr. Davis McCarthy (2020-present)
Masters AND UNDERGRADUATES Students
- Yong See Foo, Undergraduate Student in Mathematics and Statistics, AMSI vacation research scholar
Former Group Members
- Patrick Medina: PhD Student in Statistics at Purdue University (co-advised with Prof. Rebecca Doerge), Finished 2017, WAVETDA: Bayesian Statistics, Wavelets and Topological Data Analysis to Assess Statistical Shape.
Masters and undergraduate students at University of Melbourne
- Brendan Law, MSc in Mathematics and Statistics, July 2018-Dec 2019
- Denny Shin, MSc in Bioinformatics, July 2018-Dec 2019
- Jiangrong Ouyang, MSc in Mathematics and Statistics, Feb 2018-May 2019
Masters and undergraduate students at Purdue University
- Israa Al-Qassem (2016-2017): MSc Student in CS at Purdue University, Currently PhD Student, Stefan Canzar group at LMU, Germany
- Yash Kumar Sonthalia (2016-2017): MSc Student in CS at Purdue University, Currently software engineer at Google
- Nathan Hankey (2016-2017): MSc Student in Statistics at Purdue University, Currently Statistical Analyst at Medpace
- Sicheng Hao (2016-2017): Undergraduate Student in Statistics at Purdue University, Currently MSc Student in Data Science, Olga Vitek group at Northeastern University